Thursday, December 15, 2005

It's Iraq's day-hope springs eternal...


I can't begin to describe my feelings tonight as I get ready for following the vote in Iraq.

I wish for the day when the beauty of the palms and sparkling rivers will be drawing the world's eyes instead of the burned cars. I wish for the day that people can see Iraq the way I do, with the eyes of a lover, omitting flaws and lingering on the beauty, not just the external, but the internal. Forgiving weaknesses and oddities borne from the years of strife and seeing the passion and determination and the goodness.

I have, as an American, been accused of being naive, overly optimisitic, and too trusting, too open. Well, I guess I wouldn't be me any other way, so I can live with that. And I've found there are Iraqis that recognize that in Americans, and they either take advantage of it, or they love you the more for it, like a child who is so in wonderment of the world that they don't always take all precautions to protect themselves. I've been lucky to find more often than not, that I've been taken under their wing and they are the most loyal friends one could wish for.

Someone asked me to post this photo (at top) a while back and I was hesitant because it is personal to me. But I do love the symbolism so I decided to share it. It is my hand entwined with one of my Iraqi friends, this was about 6 weeks after last year's election and you can see on the index fingernail two small spots of ink left from the "purple finger" as it has come to be known. This relationship, and what it represents, the thousands of Iraqis and Americans that have held hands and held each other during through the past three years says everything, about our two nations, and what is possible in this world.

Today is your day Iraq. And I'm just an observer, but I'm watching with hope beyond hope. For all of us.

16 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

This might seem hyperbolic, but it seems like the Iraqis and our American soldiers in Iraq hold the future of the world in their hands.

If Iraq can be a successful democracy, the Western World will not have to fight one billion Muslims. Instead, the Western World and the Muslim World will agree that ballots not bullets are the proper way of resolving disputes. Further, the Western World and the Muslim World will agree that all human beings, regarding of their religious beliefs, deserve basic human rights.

I don't want to live in a world where democracy in Iraq proves to be a failure except for a few moments of celebration on a few election days.

7:27 AM  
Blogger sooni said...

that was touching, and thanks for your beautiful feelings.

sooni

5:23 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Iraq is learning, and we are helping them, and learning a lot ourselves in the process.

From here, it looks like things will turn out very well. My main concern is not "insurgents" or terrorists. My main concern is Iran provoking Israel into taking out Iran's nuclear facilities. That could be a big problem in the short and medium terms.

But of course, it would be a much bigger problem in the longer term to let power-mad theocrats get nuclear bombs and missiles, so Israel and the United States might not have much of a choice.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous online cash advance said...

Sometimes life lets you down and you need a online cash advance . I dont recomend this. I would recomend learning to manage your money a little better. There are a lot of great sites on how to manage your money. If you need some money right now and you dont have a choice visit.. http://cashadvance444.com/ .. online cash advance

Waste your money and your only out the money but waste your time and you waste a part of your life...

8:05 AM  
Anonymous webhosting colorado springs said...

Helloooooooo

Can I Help You.. Yes If you want to get on the web. If you want to start learning about creating a web site of your own.. go to http://webhost11.com. to find out more about webhosting colorado springs ... We can help find a web host for you.

8:34 AM  
Blogger your said...

phentermine nice :)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

earn money - tramadol cool blog :)

6:09 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

earn money - health insurance - debt consolidation - tramadol cool blog :)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Buy Phentermine and Valium online. Lowest Price. Phentermine - Valium

1:12 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Buy Phentermine and Valium online. Lowest Price. Phentermine - Valium

11:56 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Buy Phentermine and Valium online. Lowest Price. Phentermine - Valium

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

day trade

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

san francisco event

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found some tips in here... Not sure about it all, but was useful. keep it up

**freedom for who: **

6:01 PM  
Blogger rosi said...

Hey......how much does it cost for webhosting my 2GB site...?

8:11 AM  
Anonymous About Health Blog said...

I've been lucky to find more often than not,
that I've been taken under their wing and they
are the most loyal friends one could wish for.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home