Friday, September 02, 2005

Preparedness....

With all that's gone on, there's talk all over the web about being prepared. The timing is unusual, as just the weekend before Katrina hit, my two boys got to go to a Scout sponsored weekend hike in Rangeley, Maine with the Instructors from the Navy's SERE program (that's Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape).

If you ever have the chance to do something like this, do it. Actually, I take that back. Seek out the chances to do something like this. Petty Officer Hoag seemed to have 15 different ways to start a fire, and my kids learned that they can eat "rock tripe", crickets, and other assorted delectables from Mother Nature when in a bind. They learned how to filter water, mark a trail, and countless other things. The nice Marine that was there (heads up the, er, "resistance" part of the course), also explained the evasion/resistance side of things, to the extent allowed to non military members.

I'm really grateful that my kids got this opportunity. If there's one thing in life that can make you more confident (which in itself can help save you in many situations) it is being prepared and practiced for a situation. When I go to Iraq, there are some basic things I do before I go. Aside from a first aid kit, I am always sure to have a bottle of cipro, or some other wide range antibiotic, and prescription med anti emetics. Disease, food poisoning, or another number of things can cause severe and quick dehydration in hot climates, so having an anti emetic in that situation, especially if you are a smaller person and will dehydrate more quickly, is a must. On that note, powdered gatorade is great as well to carry for quick replacing of electrolytes.

The other thing I suggest is to go out and learn to shoot a gun. I hated guns, was terrified of them for the first 21 years of my life, even though I grew up around them. Eventually I was convinced that I ought to rethink that position. Once I handled a gun, could take it apart, load it, shoot it, and not think while doing it, I lost all fear of them. Like anything else, they are a tool. Not to be taken lightly, for certain, but it's true what they say, guns don't kill people, people kill people. Or save them.

There's the eternal optimist in me coming out again. But not so optimistic as to not be prepared. Go read, then go do.

2 Comments:

Blogger jj mollo said...

I think you are right on here, especially about the diarrhea threat. People don't usually think about that. I've never been able to persuade my doctor to prescribe things I didn't need right then and there, but I've discovered that Imodium is really great stuff. Are you worried about any event in particular?

10:22 AM  
Anonymous My Blog said...

They learned how to filter water, mark
a trail, and countless other things.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home