Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal...or A Flower in the Desert


First I want to say a big thank you to Blackfive for the very nice post and links, and welcome to his readers that have come here. While I'm at it I want to address something that is important to me.
There was a comment over at Blackfive that was critical of my stating how surprised I was at the beauty of Baghdad. This guy sounded like he’d spent some serious time serving in the worst sections of it. It’s important to me, especially important because I have a family member serving in Iraq right now, for people to understand that most of the military never get to see what I will be describing. They are like police officers that are assigned to Watts, and will never see the South Bay beaches, or they are in the slums of NY, and never see Manhattan. Baghdad is a huge city. Both areas exist, the “hell” of Sadr City, and the beauty of the palm groves. Just as both areas exist, the relative safety of Kurdistan, and the danger of Anbar. Our best hope is that they learn not only to coexist, but to unify for the betterment of the all, for the continued security of those places already peaceful and for those in the places of danger to be allowed a chance to change their existence to one of peace and security as well. Thanks to all who served and continue to serve, this IS possible, and it has happened in many parts of the world.

Like this flower I found in the desert sand in Iraq (above).....when enough are put together, it makes this (below). If I have a fault, it is optimism.


Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

-Alexander Pope,
An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

6 Comments:

Blogger Link Popularity said...

Link Popularity Builder Rulles, Link Popularity

9:47 PM  
Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word poster, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

5:15 PM  
Anonymous home equity mortgage loans said...

home equity mortgage loans

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you don't mind me posting this bit of free promotional advice to you (but you do have anonymous enabled on your blog) but us bloggers and website developers should stick together. Website/blog promotion doesn't get any better than this - and it is FREE!! Great blog and if you want to increase the traffic to your blog or website then I would definitely recommend this site. My traffic figure doubled in one week, then trebled the next! (If you've got affiliate promotions on the go this really helps the extra income ;-) The best thing is it doesn't cost a bean!! It's new and it's radical - check it out!! All the best with the blog, Rick.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Dr. Health said...

I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home