Sunday, July 31, 2005

American Baby

I have this condition in my brain, where everything can be a metaphor. Music, movies, and especially books, and life events.

I was listening to the new song by Dave Matthews while driving a few days ago entitled “American Baby”. It was interesting to me, as Matthews was a outspoken opponent of the US going into Iraq to overthrow the regime of Sadaam and the Ba’athists, because all that I could find in it was exactly how I feel I should be giving those I love there to feel about me as an American. It really defined one of the things I feel strongly about, that it is a big part of me, of being American, to be eternally optimistic, and to be the smile when one is needed, to be the keeper of faith in humanity, the reminder of something full of life, to show a light so that someone will know there is one at the end. This is a personal post I guess, but hey, that’s blogging. If it bores you, the nice thing is that you don’t have to read it! Here it is, in italics, with my comments after each verse.

If these walls came crumbling down
And fell so hard to make us lose our faith
From what’s left you’d figure it out
Still make lemonade taste like a sunny day


That’s what I want every person to think when they think of Americans, that if the very worst thing happened, they won’t give up, they’ll keep trying to find a way, and I think that many Americans are seen this way, when people lose their faith elsewhere, we are able to hold ours in humanity, by the gift of what we’ve had. We haven’t been beaten down for years by fear and injustice, and yet we don’t take that for granted either.

Nobody’s laughing now
God’s grace lost and the devil is proud
But I’ve been walking for a thousand miles
One last time I could see you smile


Okay, to me it’s the war on terror. Simple, nobody’s laughing now… looks like all’s lost there to some and the evil is proud….BUT still there are many who’ll walk a thousand miles with us….just for one more glimpse of that hope that we shine. And for what it’s worth, there are many of us that have been with those caught in this struggle, in Iraq in my case, in Afghanistan, or Lebanon, or Iran, or many parts of Africa that would walk the thousand miles to see the smile of hope they keep shining in us as well.


I hold on to you
You bring me hope I’ll see you soon
And if I don’t see you
Oh, I’m afraid we’ve lost the way


Lots of people all over the world hold on to us as the “great hope”, and if they don’t see us continue to stand as that, then they’ll feel abandoned. I’m not saying we owe them, I’m saying it’s how they feel, because we’ve played that role as Americans. Personally, I’m proud of that. Unfortunately, there seem to be an increasing number of Americans that just don’t want their comfy little world disturbed. But, ask anyone working overseas in an American consulate about the Visa process. Ask about people that wail outside the windows of our embassies in hope that that showing their despair will get them and their children to our country. Are we still the great hope? You bet we are.

I hold on to you
You lift me up
And always will
I see you in light
Hope I don’t get left behind


This reminds me of a poem by an Iraqi called “America”….we lift people up and want them to be carried away by the same feelings of freedom that we have but we have little patience with them at times, they see us in the light we are shining at the end, but hope that we don’t leave them behind….that we can be patient enough.


Stay, American Baby
Stay, beautiful baby
Nobody’s laughing now
But you could always make me laugh out loud


Please, stay (relative term) and remember that you always could give us hope, even though nobody’s laughing now, you are the hope that we will laugh again.


I’m certain that most people see this song as a song about a guy in love with an American girl, I can see that too, it would be just a microcosm of how I’m looking at it as a bigger picture. Sorry Mr. Matthews, but you just gave me more reason to want to stay.

I’m not leaving.
If and when I’m asked to leave, I’ll do it, but I’ll take a look back, and I’ll smile…

13 Comments:

Blogger Blog World said...

Faith is spiritualized imagination.
Henry Ward Beecher- Posters.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Rick J said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

5:09 PM  
Blogger Online Poker Society said...

free pokerJoin our Online Poker Society Blog-Myspace Profile!@... Learn to play poker like a pro.. become as good as professional poker players and make poker your main profession at
: http://blog.myspace.com/pokerings

1:41 AM  
Blogger pokergameszz said...

You can practice your game and hone your skills on our play money tables. Or play for free
http://blog.myspace.com/pokerings

1:44 AM  
Blogger Online Poker said...

You can practice your game and hone your skills on our play money tables. Or play for free
http://blog.myspace.com/pokerings

2:15 AM  
Blogger Online Poker Society said...

We have a huge choice of real money tables so you don't have to hang around for hours waiting to get a game. Online Poker Tables like PartyPoker PacificPoker TitanPoker FultitPoker and so on
http://blog.myspace.com/pokerings

2:19 AM  
Blogger Online Poker Society said...

We have a huge choice of real money tables so you don't have to hang around for hours waiting to get a game. Online Poker Tables like PartyPoker PacificPoker TitanPoker FultitPoker and so on
http://blog.myspace.com/pokerings

3:42 AM  
Blogger pokergameszz said...

We have a huge choice of real money tables so you don't have to hang around for hours waiting to get a game. Online Poker Tables like PartyPoker PacificPoker TitanPoker FultitPoker and so on
http://blog.myspace.com/pokerings

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com Blogs
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com, an online social networking community that connects people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards, listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com Blogs

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.zleague.com

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com Blogs
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com, an online social networking community that connects people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards, listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com Blogs

10:28 PM  
Anonymous About Medicine Blog said...

This is a personal post I guess, but hey, that’s blogging. If it bores you, the nice thing is that you don’t have to read it.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Free Poker Bonus Instant said...

I have read this and i like a lot your blog. Many thanks dear admin.
----------------------

Poker sin deposito
This article is a must read for every aspiring poker player. The use of simple rules within this is the easiest and fastest way to rapidly improve their performance.
Of course this is not all you need to learn, but it is really a crucial step forward.
Bonus senza deposito
Most of the beginners and the advanced players will all certainly permeated the name ABC poker, which is simple and most effective way of playing the low and mid stakes, no bluffs, set traps and playing weak systems. Written about a lot of articles and even books, and yet time and again the players commit the cardinal errors resulting from poor to adapt the game to the weak opponents.
Will Hutchinson
Bluff calling stations, use slow play on players who have never bet on or try to play a very complex lines (ways Pending stock) at a higher level of thinking (I have it, so if he thinks that I have it, it will play into thinking that I think he meant ...) without realizing that the opponent is not thinking, and so it will not play any gains and losses at the most. Free poker bankrolls for UA players.
That is why we would like to once again bring the iron rules of the game ABC and emphasized that all other methods do not exercise at low and mid stakes as well as checking the ABC. If someone loses at low rates, is at 100% for a lot of scheming and not playing as it should.
Just above it is interesting BUT!, With weaker poker players do not realize, even there 95% of the texas holdem poker hands is a solid, Tight, aggresive poker! These are all great hand with television, a huge bluff, heroic verify the fourth pair are all torn hands with thousands of other monotonous, strong competition ABC!
Marry Scott Olson visit this portal and he like content.
It gives the opponent a free poker card: Nothing worse there is no way to give BB (the player in the big blind position) to catch something strong after Limpia (ie, exercising in the pool and not raise) with AA, KK, or other good hand pre-flop. Just choose the wrong to give someone with a strong hand on the flop two pair or a straight.
texas holdem free

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home