Friday, June 24, 2005

Enough Politics.......

I’m a political junkie. But these days, the words are blurring together. Gitmo, Durbin, ratings down on this, ratings up on that. I just find myself, well, not caring.

In fact, I’m too busy thinking about all of the stuff I have to pull together to make a successful trip across the pond, and then across the desert. And I think that’s why I am, for the lack of a better word, frustrated. The debate is important. It’s only one half of the solution however. Now, I think that there are some amazing writers that do a fantastic job using their talent to raise the debate level, or awareness. That IS doing something in my book. However, when I see the same arguments and thoughts repeated ad nauseam on blog after blog, frankly, it depresses me. If people stopped talking so much, and put all that energy into doing something, well, I think a whole lot more problems would be solved.

But that’s just me. As one of my buddies said, “you belong in a do-tank”. Problem is, I gravitate towards people that are “think tank” types. I love a debate, I love an intellectual discussion, I think long term, big picture. Yet, I have found, after I started “doing” that nothing takes the place of that feeling.

Sometimes I feel like I have a citizen’s version of battle fatigue. I’m never really fully engaged here anymore. My mind is often 10,000 miles away……literally. Is it fair to expect everyone to be a soldier? No. Is it fair to expect everyone to “do something”? No. But that’s not the issue. The real issue is, that people don’t know HOW to help. Most of my ability to help others has come from relationship building. Not all people are good at this, enjoy it, or find the risks worth the rewards. This doesn’t mean that those same people don’t want to do something that would take that as a beginning to get to where they’d like to contribute. I know that from this past year’s experience more than ever. People want to help. They just want someone to give them an easy way to do it, so that they can also keep working, keep being with their families, keep playing on the weekends, AND know that they’ve done something.

Which leads us to the other two types of people needed to allow that to happen. It takes soldiers, protecting those freedoms at a base level, and it takes people building in the civilian sector to better the quality of life. We truly are a global community now more than ever. And bettered quality of life in one area ultimately affects another. And THAT is a topic that is not discussed nearly enough.

I recently participated in such a discussion in a NYC "penthouse party". I guess that I know what my next post will be......

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I have a feeling that I'm a very different type of person than you...and yet, you strike me as someone who is optimistic, intelligent and articulate....and with those qualities in mind, I'd like to think that perhaps we're not so different at all. At any rate, it's interesting to read what you have to say.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Rick J said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

4:58 PM  
Anonymous About Health Blog said...

Yet, I have found, after I started “doing” that nothing takes the place of that feeling.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home